O'Reilly has been described in many different ways - some more favourable than others. Which do you think are most favourable and what differences are there between the descriptions?
Dan O'Reilly, a local publican
Mr D O'Reilly, member of the Licensed Victuallers' Association
Shy hero, Dan O'Reilly
Respected publican, Mr Daniel O'Reilly
O'Reilly, D. licensee
The following descriptions are taken from three
Notice how, although they describe the same people, they do so in different ways.
|The Earl of St Andrews, 24, 17th in line to the throne|| The shy Earl of St Andrews, a cousin of
The 24-year-old earl, whose name is George
|The Earl of St Andrews, aged 24, oldest son of the Duke and Duchess of Kent.|
|Canadian lover Sylvana Tomaselli, 29, a divorcee||Sylvana Tomaselli, 29, a lapsed Roman Catholic||Miss Sylvana Tomaselli, the 29-year-old Canadian|
| Ace Allan
Allan Lamb, the 32-year-old batsman dropped by England
|England reject, Allan Lamb|| Allan Lamb
| John McEnroe, three-times Wimbledon champion
| Tormented superstar John McEnroe
Fallen star John McEnroe
| John McEnroe
* Which descriptions give most information?
The descriptions may be made up of title, forename, surname, general words, age, job, ....
* How close to the beginning of the phrase does the name come?
* What kinds of words appear before the name?
* Make your own collection of different ways in which the same person is described
Here is one common sequence:
|describing phrase||first name without surname|
|first name without surname||describing phrase|
|Doris||the perky pensioner|
|title||first name||surname||describing phrase|
|Mr||Edward||Chaplin||first secretary in Tehran|
* Find other sequences of words used to describe people.
* Which sequences are preferred by which newspapers?
* Collect pictures of people from newspapers and describe them in your own words using these techniques.
Return to Main In The News page